Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Pin Review: Cheesy Enchilada Casserole

I pinned this casserole awhile ago and shortly thereafter my good blog friend Melissa commented on the pin and said her family had made it and loved it.  And then I waited a really long time to make it because life happens and I was changing things up much.  But now, I am!  I made 3 new recipes just last week and this by far was our FAVORITE of all.  It was so yummy I got the ingredients to make it again this week.  I also didn't take a picture of my casserole because I was too busy stuffing my face so the photo credit goes to Jonna.

source
When I first penned this casserole onto our menu I knew I had to figure up the points plus values then for Weight Watcher purposes or I'd cook it and have a "meh!" moment where I mentally declared it to be 5 points for half the dish (just kidding - kind of!).  The whole casserole was a lot of points so I immediately halved it and resolved to bake it into a 8x8 dish.  I then made some minor modifications that brought the total down to 10 points per 1/4th of an 8x8 casserole OR 7 points for 1/6th of a 9x13 casserole.  You could lighten it up even more by using a fat free cheese, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy fat free cheese so I use the real stuff.  You could also use less cheese but I don't because cheese is yummy.  And healthy.  Right?

So the modified recipe is...

1/2lb lean ground beef
1/3 onion finely chopped
1 1/4 cup salsa
1/2 can kidney beans (drained)
1/8 cup italian dressing
1T taco seasoning
1/8t cumin
2 low fat (I use Mission) flour tortillas (corn would also be less and you could use more)
1/2 can of corn
1/4 cup sour cream (light)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

For cooking instructions I'd like to refer you back to Jonna's site so I'm not hoarding the recipe here, but again, I'd like to stress this is indeed very, very good!

So this pin is definitely two thumbs up!  Thank you, Pinterest!  And Jonna!

Oh, and also, my almost-2-year-old loved this too and it was not too spicy for him.  A meal an almost-2-year-old inhales that isn't pizza or chicken nuggets is always a win in my book!

No comments: