Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Oatmeal Cookies

I'm in the thick of it today with a wisdom tooth gone wild, TMJ developing, and sudden cold-turkey weaning of my 13 month old so I can have surgery to get that sucker out.  Additionally, that same 13 month old broke my favorite mug and glass bowl today.  I cried a lot of tears because both held deep sentiment and let's be honest, I was just waiting for something to cause me to break down.

Today, I'm glad I spent my Sunday afternoon baking cookies.  These are Josh's favorite and I literally hadn't made them in 2 years.  I had to consult my old, now private blog for the recipe and guess what?  I didn't even put how much oatmeal to put in.  I've come a long way in blogging even though I've had to start over.  HA.  Anyway, these are saving my life today.  E loves them so between letting him munch away at a tasty cookie and letting him watch all the Yo Gabba Gabba he wants as a distraction, I'm able to not hold him for the five seconds I need to go to the bathroom.  Motherhood is the best, but not every day is sunshine and rainbows.  ...But y'all know that, right?


Ingredients
- 1 cup butter (melted)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 2 T cinnamon
- 1 T honey
- 5 cups oatmeal

First, preheat your oven to 375. (I put that in bold because I can never find it on blogs even though it's right in front of my face - lol.)  Melt your one cup butter (2 sticks) while you mix together your two sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla to the mix and then the melted butter and mix that all up.

Next, in a separate dish, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and whisk together.  Slowly pour these into your mixer (or add while you're hand mixing) to the wet already mixed ingredients.  I let my mixer go 5 minutes, but it probably doesn't matter.

Add in your honey - the secret ingredient - and give it a quick stir and then dump in 5 cups of oatmeal and let your mixer (or your hand) give it a few more whisks.

Using a spoon, put about a 1" ball of dough onto your greased cookie sheet and let bake 11-14 minutes.  I also flatten my balls a bit because I like a bit thinner cookie and they cook easier that way.

This recipe should yield about 32 cookies and each cookie is 4 Weight Watcher points.  Not too shabby since a chocolate chip cookie is 5 points, right?  And you can feel KIND OF healthy eating it (or giving it to your 13 month old) since there's oatmeal.  ;)

NOW, below I've added a picture with all the ingredients and instructions.  I'm doing this because one of the easiest ways for me to try new recipes is to be able to save an image of them to my phone!  This is especially handy when grocery shopping if I don't have time to make a list but really wanted to try something.  If you're reading this on your phone, you could just do a screen capture of this image and have all you need!  OR if you're on a computer and want to print but DON'T want to print my rambling at the top, just print this image and you have all you need!  If you do this and it's helpful, please tell me and I'll do this for all my recipes!  I'm all about simplifying your life.



Enjoy!

1 comment:

Julie S. said...

YUM! I am going to try these this week!