Sunday, November 11, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken Stroganoff

Lately, my little one, E, has made it impossible to cook dinner.  At 12 months, he's hit that age where he straddles toddlerhood and babyhood and wants to be independent until he really needs you to pick him up especially if you're doing something because he's a toddler and is curious! Whew!  It was the worst when it was time to make dinner so I resolved to browse through Pinterest and find a lot of crock pot dishes to try because ladies and gents, when you have a toddler (or even if you don't) and especially if you have more than one busy toddler, the crock pot is your bestest best friend.  Anyway, in my hunting, I've had a lot of hit and miss recipes we've tried, but two have risen to the top and been added to our "go to" dinners.  I've tweaked both recipes but because I found them through Pinterest I've given the original blogger credit because without them, I would not have had created such delicious, CONVENIENT dinners.

So today, chicken stroganoff originally from Chef-in-Training found here.
Below, is my version... (which is 9 Weight Watcher points for 3/4 cup)


Ingredients:
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 packet dry onion soup (2oz)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz light sour cream
- coriander seasoning (optional)

This is SO simple, friends.  Just take your raw chicken breast and toss it into your crock pot.  Then, mix the two soups together in a bowl and cover the chicken with them.  Next, sprinkle on a pinch of coriander, set your crock pot to low and walk away for 3.5-4.5 hours.

Thirty minutes before you plan to enjoy your dinner (or whenever you're down to 1 hour before dinner and your children are momentarily distracted), add the 8 oz of sour cream to the crock pot (I also went ahead and shredded my chicken. Shredding it removed the process of cutting it all up at dinner for me!).  It's best not to add creams or milks to your crock pot in the beginning of cooking because the food will break down too much and you'll lose a lot of that rich, creamy flavor and you could also scald the dairy product.

And that's it! 30 minutes or so later switch your crock pot to warm or serve up your chicken stroganoff over some yolk free egg noodles with a side of green beans (my recipe here is good!) if your kids will continue to be distracted long enough for you to cook a side.  But just so you know, this is so good you don't HAVE to have egg noodles.  I opted out when I wanted seconds to save myself the extra Weight Watcher points.  ;)

Enjoy!

No comments: