Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Quick & Easy Semi-Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Sunday night in our house was brought to you by spaghetti and meatballs.  J scraped his elbow for the first time on a walk home from the park and I needed toddler comfort food/something easily prepared since my kids were melting down on me.  So, naturally, I chose that high pressure must-cook-dinner-fast-NOW to think up a new little recipe for spaghetti sauce.  I spent the 20 minutes the dinner was cooking hoping and praying it would be delicious and my children would eat and my husband who is an avid spaghetti hater would like it and guess what?  It was awesome.  Josh loved it, J loved it, and E just ate meatballs and threw his broccoli on the ground. So there's that disclaimer.  If your palette is like E's, you may not like it.

Quick & Easy Semi-Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients:
2 14oz cans tomato sauce
1 Tbs parsley
1 Tbs basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp olive oil
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup mozzarella (optional!)
1  Tbs Parmesan (optional!)

Combine all your ingredients except the cheeses in a sauce pan and let it all come to a boil over medium heat.  Once your sauce is bubbling and making a mess in your kitchen (WHY does only tomato sauce do this?!) and then turn it down to a simple simmer.  Let it simmer about 20 minutes (this was easily done while my spaghetti cooked on the stove and meatballs cooked in the oven).  In the last few minutes before serving toss in cheese and stir so it doesn't get clumpy.

And that's it!  I dumped this sauce over our noodles (half a box).  We like our spaghetti super saucy so I'd say it'd serve 4-6 depending on how saucy you like it.  Also, if you're interested, I did NOT figure up the points on this, but I called it 1 point.  The only real point contribution comes from the cheeses so if you omit them, call it 0!

Enjoy! :)

No comments: