Friday, January 18, 2013

0 Point Weight Watcher Soup

Two posts in one week? It's a miracle. Or maybe a sign of good things to come!

Today I'm posting a recipe for 0 point Weight Watcher soup.  This recipe is all over in various forms.  I've seen it on Pinterest and it's one of those pins that makes me laugh because I remember my parents making this stuff for years!  That being said, I can't take all the credit for this at all!  My parents made this soup a lot throughout my childhood when they'd diet.  At one point their resolve was to eat it before every meal to help them feel it up and make it harder to over eat on the good portion of the show.  

As I mentioned, we've been so sick here lately and it hit Josh and I toward the middle of the week.  I know I wanted buckets of hot, spicy soup and that I wanted to be indulgent with the saltines.  So I made this soup which is not only very healthy and 0 points, it's also super cheap.


0 Point Weight Watcher Soup Ingredients:
1 tiny can tomato pace
4 cans water
1 can chicken broth
1 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup onion
1/2 head of cabbage
1 zucchini squash
3 brussel sprouts
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt


So my Mom told me she actually used tomato juice for this recipe! I didn't have any, so I made my own by mixing 1 can of tomato pace with 4 cans of water and blending.  So FYI, you can do that!

1--> Pour 1 tsp olive oil in a pot and saute diced onion and diced garlic.  I also used brussel sprouts and sautéed these as well.  If I had seen the carrots I had in my refrigerator I would have added those and sautéed them too.  Basically you're just sautéing anything hard and crunchy + the garlic and onion.  I sprinkled it all with a little salt and pepper and ended up sautéing about 3-4 minutes.

2--> Pour in your tomato juice mix and dump any veggies you want! I used cabbage and zucchini squash because it's what I had.  My parents often added green beans and carrots and I think asparagus would be good too!  There are so many options since most veggies are 0 points on Weight Watchers!

3--> Put a lid on that soup and let it simmer up.  I put my kids down for a nap while I did this and then did a few chores... it simmered a total of about 30 minutes.

And voila! 0 point soup!  Now, this soup isn't extremely flavorful unless your veggies are flavorful.  Beef broth would enhance the flavor, but I only had chicken.  Also, spices like oregano and parsley should be considered and might I recommend tossing in a bay leaf while you're cooking?  I didn't do this because I needed the soup HOT to help me with this congestion so I just made sure my salt/pepper ratio was good and then added a ton of Siracha to my bowl!  I thought about cooking in a little cumin and chili powder but I didn't know if I'd want spicy tomorrow and you can always dump this back into a pot, add some seasoning and let it all simmer together again!

So there you have it!  0 point soup that's extremely versatile!  I had 3 cups and was stuffed all afternoon which helped me avoid snacking temptation! 


Oh, and a note... if somehow you ate this whole pot of soup it would not be 0 points since you're using 1 tsp of olive oil and a can of broth.  There's about 3 points total in this whole soup so if you ever have more than 4 cups you may consider counting it as 1 point.  ;)

No comments: