Monday, January 21, 2013

Making a House a Home

Happy Monday, friends! I hope you all had lovely weekends!  My weekend included a major annual event - my birthday!

In the last few years my Mom has taken me shopping for my birthday.  Last year I picked out things I needed... bath gel from Bath & Body, more make up from MAC, a nursing tank... But this year I picked things I really wanted for my home.  We've been here almost 4 years and I'm just now discovering curtains.  They're an expensive investment and Josh and I have never made putting money into our home's decor a huge priority (a consequence of annual Disney World visits).  So this year, I asked for curtains and am so thankful my Mom obliged!


We went to Target Thursday and picked up rods and panels and Josh installed it all for me yesterday.  I'm in love!  I am so happy with how much cozier they make my dining/living room look (open concept home).  I also picked up a pillow cover on Saturday when Josh and I were shopping that is burlap and blue chevron and I LOVE it.  They're $6.99 at Hobby Lobby and only $4 after you use a 40% off coupon.  I love how the look with the curtains.

I spent the rest of my Sunday looking at the curtains and the pillow and the room and thinking about all my decor.  I have my birthday money from Josh and my in-laws left and while I really could use a hair cut I want to take all that money and head back to Target and Hobby Lobby for more cute home stuff.  I even texted my Mom Sunday that the changes "have made my nesting instincts kick in!"  And then I thought that was ironic and I should probably write a blog post about it.


The truth is we've always known this home is temporary.  We'd like to leave Oklahoma eventually and even if we didn't we've outgrown this 1200 sq ft home in more ways than just space.  It was a perfect starter home, but we've gotten to the point where hopefully we'll find a forever home in the next few years.  I don't know why that makes me hesitant to invest in things like curtains and decorating and really sprucing up the place because the rest of the truth is every time I tackle a project - a gallery wall, my mantle, seasonal decor, new curtains, repurposing furniture... - I love how it changes my house into a home and effects my mood, productivity levels, and enjoyment of where I live.

So I think my goal for this next year of my life is to focus more on making my house a home.  I think I do well to make my house a home in our lives but not so much in our decor just because I'm not always focused on it.  I don't want to just fill it with things, I want to be intentional about what comes in and fills the walls and space that needs decorating.  And I want to purge and organize and purge some more.

If I can do this little by little a ripple effect should be more love on this blog because OF COURSE I'll have to keep you all involved in the changes.  ;)

Here's to another year of life and to loving my home and making it happier and cozier each day!  Cheers!

1 comment:

Alli Lizer said...

Those curtains and that pillow are so sweet. I love your color choice. If you're up for it, move to Virginia - we could be neighbors!!