Wednesday, August 1, 2012

5 Minute Guacamole

In June, I did a pin review on copy cat Chipotle guacamole. We make it frequently because as I mentioned then, Josh loves it.  I've come to just like it.  I'm not the biggest fan of raw, crunchy onions and I just don't like the random heat that comes from jalapeño chopped up in the mix.  Sometimes you don't taste it at all, sometimes you taste too much.  Josh disagrees with me and finds no fault with the recipe so if you like it, stick with it, but if you want something different, I have something for you!


I've been playing with guacamole a lot and I've finally found something I really like.  Guacamole is only time consuming when it comes to chopping everything up.  In this recipe, there's less chopping and the whole process is much quicker.  I'm able to make this in 5 minutes which is perfect when I want a little something fun with my lunch or when I'm mixing up some guacamole for our Mexican food night (although I'm only ever making this version if we're out of onion or jalapeño).

And, by the way, this recipe yields about 1 cup of guacamole.  If you eat it all it'll cost you 6 Weight Watcher points, but if you eat 1/3 a cup (like I do) it's only 2 points! Win!

...So here we go! 



Ingredients:
2 avocados (mine were medium-ish)
1/2 small tomato
1/2 tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp jalapeño juice
2 tbs cilantro (unpictured)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt to taste


When making the guacamole I first get my avocado mashed.  I slice, de-pit, score*, scoop into a bowl, and mash.  I like to leave some chunks initially because by the end of the process there's been a lot of mixing and I don't want it to be free of some chunkiness in the end.

Next, I cut my tomato, scoop out the seeds and liquid and chop it up.  Set it aside and do the same with the cilantro.

Now take your juices - lemon, lime, and jalapeño and add them to the avocados.  Toss in your salt (less is more when you're starting) and garlic powder.  Give the mix a stir and give it a taste (preferably with a chip so you can measure the saltiness against the chips saltiness - you can tell this is serious business, right?).

Mix in tomato and cilantro and stir once more.  Now, have your official taste (the previous taste was more like a teaser) and decide if you need more salt or more garlic or more spice or more acidy.  Guacamole is so personal so this is more of a jumping off point and what I specifically like.

I hope you enjoy this!  As always, be sure to let me know if you try it!  For me it's so easy to mix up and there's something about the process of making guacamole that makes the fact your infant is pulling up on your leg to be held and your toddler is covering himself with infant saline solution that makes the world still seem ok.  ;)



*By scoring I mean slicing the avocado while it's still in it's "shell" as pictured above.  I saw this on Food Network once and my life was forever changed.  It's genius.

No comments: