Sunday, August 12, 2012

Making Friends As an Adult

source
I'm a young Mom.  Most people my age are just settling into their careers or starting to get married.  The majority of people who were my friends when I was still school-aged are single and the few who are married are childless.  Actually, only two of the people I graduated high school with (granted my graduating class was about 75 people) are parents and as fun as it'd be to coordinate with these women, they're working Moms, not stay-at-home-Moms so schedules are challenging and it just doesn't happen.  I actually only have one local Mom friend who I get together with semi-regularly which is a funny thing to confess because I feel like one should have a lot of friends.  I am so very thankful for this friend and am always so happy when we find the time to get our kids together to play and spend the hours talking away.  We relate well to each other and conversation comes easily.

And the truth is, I've met other Moms.  I've met Moms in the neighborhood, at Chick Fil A, and in passing at Church.  I've even managed to have a few play dates with Moms I've met, but it's always a challenge because kids get sick or schedules get busy.

Talking to other Moms is pretty easy.  My Mom told me when I was pregnant with J that once you become a Mom it is so easy to talk to and relate to all other Moms because you're all "in the club" together and everyone can talk about their kid non-stop which makes conversation easy.  I think this is really true.  I can't tell you how many women I've sat with at Chick Fil A while I bounce E and watch J climb through tunnels and have thought, "Wow, we are having really great conversation!"  But then the conversation ends.  The six-year olds stampede in and we Moms of younger toddlers rush our children down while saying how we enjoyed the conversation and then a toddler (sometimes mine) sees the door to the play ground open and goes running through the restaurant so you have to take off.

These encounters always leave me a little dumbfounded and I wonder, "That went so nicely and I feel like we could be friends! Should I have gotten her number?"  And then "Call Me Maybe" pops in my head and I feel lame for not knowing what to do or how to connect beyond play ground conversations with other women.

The Church our family attends is huge and the way people get connected is through home group situations.  Josh and I have found it difficult to get plugged into a home group in our time at this Church because of our having such little kids.  Recently though, I started taking the boys with me to a group for stay-at-home-Moms.  It's been so lovely to visit with other Moms every other week the last few weeks, but even within that group, I feel like we're all having great conversations, but no one is really meeting or talking outside of the group.

...And that makes me wonder, do other people want friends?  Why are friends important?  I know for me the friends I have (married, not married, Moms - whoever) are important.  They encourage me.  My Mom friend and I can text frustrations about our nap time (and let's not forget the Twitter friends I have who share in these woes with me too!).  Other friends with their other lives challenge me in other ways - in my faith, in my individuality... friends are good and important and healthy.  And it used to be so easy to make friends, but is that just because environments like school and college made it easier?  Now as adults and parents we can be so easily distracted when it comes to having conversations and getting to the heart of the matter and isn't it the getting to the heart of the matter that makes such great friends?

I did have some luck in this area lately with a friend I met on Instagram of all places!  We "met," became online friends and then finally met up at the zoo a few weeks before she moved to Texas.  I felt like our kids got along great, we got along great, we had similar views, values, etc and I felt like it was so natural and easy to be her friend.  It helped that as soon as we met up she dived right into real conversation.  So is that what it takes?  And how hard is it to make yourself vulnerable only to be rejected or to even be the only one of the two making yourself vulnerable in the first place?

I have no resolution on this issue, but it's a topic that's weighed heavily on my mind.  I'd love to hear from you.  What stage of life are you in and how does that stage effect your ability to forge friendships?  Any advice for someone who feels like they're starting Kindergarten all over again in the friends department?

P.S. I remembered after writing this the friend I mentioned, April, wrote a post about friendship lately too.  You can read that here.  It's good!

4 comments:

Liz Stout said...

I think its incredibly hard to gain new friends at this time in life. I struggle with it constantly and it makes life harder at times.

I really cherish and try to keep up with friends from school as best I can, but with everyone being everywhere that is so hard to do. I have practically zero friends my age in town. I have social activities due to work and horses, but no one my age. It's so so so hard.

I don't know what to do to conquer and solve this issue right now either. I feel everyone is in such different places with their life and we are all so busy. It's hard to meet someone new. So hard.

I'm really glad you wrote this post and includesd thoughts about why friends are important. It really got me thinking about things. Maybe this thinking will lead to a solution....

Julie S. said...

It is SO hard to gain new and even keep old friends around! Recently, my high school bff who is also a mom, myself, and 2 others (who are not moms) got together for dinner. It was HARD to carry on a conversation about other stuff, and they were just in such different places in their lives. They could have sat and drank and talked all night but I just wanted to drive home because I KNEW I was going to have to get up early the next morning. It's hard, and I don't have the answers either... :) But I guess we keep trying? :)

Anonymous said...

So I was just scrolling my Instagram feed and saw the pic of you and your boy at Sonic, and I thought for the millionth time - every time one of your pics is in my feed - I really like her, I wish we could be IRL friends. And so I turned on my computer to take a read at your blog (I know, I haven't been here in a while) and imagine that, your post is on friendship!

I feel the same, and in the same boat. Although I'm an older mom and all my friends have already had their babies, most are headed off to jr high and high school already, yikes! So while I'm just starting out they've already 'been there done that' and play dates aren't happening. Also I've moved away from my hometown and it seems that being 2 hours away from "the old gang" is just too much for some people, such a bummer. :(

I've met a few moms in my Moms Group and through church; but really clicking and finding someone you want to be friends with comes at the strangest times - like at the playground and Instagram, LOL.

Example: Julie (comment above me) we met blogging. I've been to Chicago and we've had a playdate, and we still text with each other, like all day long. I can't imagine not having her for a friend, and I owe it all to blogging!

Maybe we can plan a big play date for all of blogger/IG moms :)

Audra King said...

I'm totally with you on this! I've had a hard time making good friends locally for several reasons:

Although I grew up here, I worked in Chicago and overseas from ages 16-26, so the friends I made during those years live all over the place. (Thankfully, my roommate in Taiwan ended up marrying someone who lived in OKC, so amazingly, we live in the same city now and have daughters the same age!)

I got married and had my daughter later than the average, so most of the people I meet locally are younger than me if they have kids her age and those who are my age often have older children.

And then I didn't do the typical path for anything in my life (homeschool, then college and graduate school online, plus living overseas) so I think it is hard to find people I really connect with (my fault, maybe?).

I do have many good friends, but almost all live far away. I wish I had a great answer to all of this. . but I'm on the same journey with you!