Monday, May 6, 2013

0 Point Pasta

Well in the last 61 days I haven't posted many recipes because let's be honest, when you eat 10oz of lean protein, 7oz of veggies, 2 pieces of fruit, and an egg every day there's just not a lot to write home about in your cooking.  BUT after 61 days you get bored with your food and there are days you're desperate to find delicious.  In the last few weeks I feel I've mastered two DELICIOUS 0 point vegetables.  Later this week I'll give you my mushroom recipe, but today I want to share this delicious 0 point pasta.

Now I want to disclaimer this before I dive into the recipe... I haven't eaten pasta in 61 days (or any carbs aside from two very delicious times I took communion) so my tastebuds are very much like, "HEY THIS IS DELICIOUS!" To be fair, I was expecting to make something fresh and full of flavor NOT creamy and heavy, so my expectations were satisfied.  This recipe is husband approved as having a lot of great flavor and not leaving you feeling sleepy and heavy like you would be after eating buttery pasta.  The toddlers, however, did not approve this recipe and were NOT fooled by spaghetti squash.  I found this very disappointing as I'm trying all sorts of trickery in getting them on board the healthy train too (But flax seed sprinkled all over things?  THAT works!).




Ingredients
Spaghetti squash
Fat Free/Low Sodium Chicken Broth
Dried parsley
Dried basil
Dried oregano
Garlic powder
Pepper
Mushrooms
Roma tomato

Start by preheating your oven to 375* and quarter your spaghetti squash while you're waiting (it will be a light arm work out cutting the thing).  Scrape out the seeds and pulp and place quarters on a baking sheet.  Bake 30 minutes.  Once the spaghetti squash are done baking, take a spoon and scrape with mild-moderate pressure going lengthwise down the quarter squash.  Place noodles into a bowl.



Next, pour 1/3 cup fat free chicken broth into a skillet over medium heat.  Let broth come to a simmer.  While waiting chop up some mushrooms and a roma tomato (cherry tomatoes were tested and proved to be too sweet and they're what you're seeing in most of these photos FYI) and toss them into the simmering broth.  Sprinkle with garlic powder, pepper, basil, oregano and parsley.  ...When it comes to veggies and seasonings, use what you like.  Everyone is different when it comes to flavor.  For me, I use very few mushrooms and tomatoes because I can only use 3.5oz of vegetables total in the whole pasta.  When I end this diet and switch to back to Weight Watchers, I'd make a BIG bowl of this stuff.  I also use a healthy amount of garlic powder, pepper, basil and oregano when sprinkling the veggies but not very much parsley.

Let the veggies simmer about 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.  Add another 1/3-1/2 cup chicken broth depending on how many of the noodles you decide to cook.  Dump in your desired amount of noodles, sprinkle again with garlic powder and stir.  Let simmer on medium heat about 10 minutes (or until liquid is absorbed - whatever comes first).


And that's it!  I've eaten this pasta with grilled steak and grilled chicken.  It was delicious with both and both tasted great mixed in with it too.  This dish is completely guilt free (you can eat the whole spaghetti squash!), packed with flavor, fresh, and delicious!

If you don't eat the whole spaghetti squash, I recommend making a little "grab bag" with your measured noodles, tomato and mushrooms (tomato and mushrooms on top!).  The next day when you want more you can just do the same process by grabbing the tomatoes and mushrooms to throw them into the broth and repeat the whole recipe.  I've tested this and it works great.  I did not test cooking it all and reheating the final product, but I can't imagine that would taste as fresh and delicious when microwaved.


So there you have it! If you try this, please comment and let me know what you think! :)

1 comment:

Cindy Simmons said...

This looks SOOO yummy! I have been wanting to try spaghetti squash for some time! I think it will be on the menu next week:)

Oh and I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Just visit my blog and all the information is in there that you will need! www.amomraisingherboys.blogspot.com