Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Consistency in Routine

So I thought I'd talk a little bit today about my routine.  I read once when I was 250lbs that people who tend to eat the same things often are thinner.  This makes a lot of sense to me because it seems like when I am presented with different options I am more likely to make the wrong decision... especially since I'm a) so close to my goal weight (166lbs!!!) and b) still learning to maintain a thinner weight!  The best weeks I've had with weightloss, good decision making, and feeling great has come from consistency and I just can't recommend it enough!

So here's my day's routine as far as eating/working out.

Morning - 

The first thing I do when I get into the kitchen every morning is fill my 32oz jug with ice and water.  I make it a rule that I must drink half that jug before exercising and the whole jug before my coffee.  Then while I'm drinking I cook 2 eggs.  I always try to have eggs in the morning because the protein keeps me full.  Sometimes I'll have one egg and a piece of 45 calorie bread toasted with a little light margarine or I'll make some bacon.  I used to always put cheese on my eggs.  I no longer do this because eggs are delicious when well seasoned so why waste the calories?  A few times a week I might eat 1 cup of Special K cereal or half a bagel, but never on days I'm running.  Those days I just want my protein fix!



If I'm running, I like to head out the door soon after breakfast so I don't lose my motivation.  I usually decide beforehand if I'm running distance or time.  These days I'm doing a 5 day a week cardio program with Josh so my runs are shorter just more as a way to keep at running and start my day off right.  I like to always go at least 15 minutes which is around 1.5 miles for me.

After runs or at some point in the morning I'll usually eat a banana or orange or if I'm cutting up a melon for the boys some melon.

Afternoon -

Pretty much every day I eat a turkey sandwich for lunch.  I love sandwiches and so does my family.  As a foursome we eat about 2lbs of lunchmeat a week and go through a whole bag of sliced cheese in that same amount of time.  I build my sandwich with two pieces of toasted 45 calorie bread, 2 oz of turkey, 1 slice of sharp cheddar and add mustard, spinach, tomato, pickles and red onion.  I like to do it up right.  I can't break the mentality that I need to eat something with my sandwich but I've learned it should NOT be chips.  Instead I eat baked cauliflower or fresh fruit (usually melon) alongside my sandwich.

Sometimes the kids and I are out running errands or hit the park around lunchtime.  If we eat lunch out, I try to always get a grilled chicken salad and a light vinegar based dressing which I try to only use half of.  I NEVER eat any croutons, nuts, or granola that comes with the salad as it can usually be more points than the whole salad!



If Josh and I are off on our days for our cardio DVD, I do my work out while the kids nap.  It's only 25 minutes so I can plow through it and still have some time to shower, clean, or unwind after.

Snack -

I love an apple in the afternoon.  Often my boys steal my apple so we usually end up cutting two.  Sometimes I eat Better 'N Peanut Butter with my apple.  Sometimes I also make a spinach smoothie in the afternoon especially after a workout.



Dinner -

Dinner is the most inconsistent time in my day, but I control what we eat because I cook.  I try to stick with the basic principles: lean protein, lots of veggies, limited carbs/starches.  I like to eat mostly produce, 3-5oz of protein, and I always make a pasta, mashed potatoes, or rice for my husband and kids which I sometimes eat in small quantities (like 1/4 - 1/3 cup) even though I should pass.


Snack -

After the kids are in bed I'll either watch TV with Josh and eat grapes or an orange or if we work out I'll probably also make a spinach smoothie if I haven't already.  Sometimes before bed if my family goes swimming or to play outside I'll have a low calorie popscicle.


And sometimes I do eat pizza or our family will go out to eat and the option I choose isn't salad.  When this happens I can usually plan ahead and make sure I eat very light and healthfully all day and then I still try to pump up produce.  For example, we went out for dinner with my in-laws last Friday and my husband and I decided to order a medium salad to share and a 10" pizza for our family to share instead of something bigger.  I filled up on salad and then let myself eat some pizza, but didn't overeat because I had already started the meal off right.  :)


So there you have it!  My day in eating.  I feel like I eat a lot, but mostly I try to keep all my snacking healthy and fresh.  I also should mention I try to drink 3 of those 32 oz jugs total in the day and allow myself 1-2 cans of Diet Coke a day (my vice I still let myself have).

So I'm curious, do you stay consistent in your eating routine?  What about your work outs?  Can you control yourself when you have many options at every meal?


2 comments:

Alli Lizer said...

You rock! It's a great suggestion to get in a routine of eating healthy. I'm in a rut where I eat the same things all the time but it's basically all bread. I don't work hard enough to make something else... it's at least as much laziness for me as a preference for unhealthy foods.

How do you stick to that motivation and conviction?

becca @ sew loved said...

I don't know why I've never thought about the consistency thing, but duh, that's so true! Thanks for the motivation to try that out!