Friday, October 5, 2012

Fall Decorating

Good morning, friends & happy Friday!!! 

I'm enjoying the "31 days" series very much, but I want to make sure within the mix I'm posting other things I enjoy as well!  So today in lieu of a lengthy WDW post, I'm posting pics of my fall decorations!  

I think the 31 days is open to interpretation is great and for these 31 days of October I will be posting frequently about WDW, but I don't know if in the end I'll have 31 posts just about that -- especially because I don't like to post on the weekends typically.  ANWAY...

This is my fall mantle!


Josh & I have been married 4 years now and homeowners for 3.5 years, but this is the first time I've EVER decorated for fall!  I actually didn't even have a single "fall" thing except a few things I'd bought 90% off at Hobby Lobby that I didn't really love anymore.  We're pretty strict in our budgeting (because we have to save for Disney World trips, lol) and I knew I couldn't just walk up to Josh and tell him I intended to spend x amount of money to decorate.  Because he wouldn't care and he'd then want to spend x amount of money on video games or something.  So, instead I devoted my allowance (we each get $40 a month) to getting little bits and pieces and told myself to love what I had first (all part of this "live simply" endeavor!) and then pick up a few things.  And you know what?  I spent less than $1 for my mantle/wreath/and mirror banner (excluding the candle which was $5 at Target).


The wreath above was simple enough to make but time consuming.  Wrapping those things takes forever!!! I had actually started wrapping the wreath to make it 4th of July themed but didn't finish in time.  I ended up running out of twine just over half way through the process and didn't want to buy more because I knew stopping mid-project meant I might not have time to ever pick it up again.  I had already planned on using scrap fabric from J's baby quilt to make rosettes, but I opted to glue on some other fabric and I think it looks pretty good and intentional (and so did everyone I asked on Twitter and Instagram - thanks, friends!).  The rosettes are so easy to make, they just take time.  You basically cut a strip of fabric, twist, hot glue, twist, hot glue, twist, hot glue... And that's it!  The whole wreath took me about 2 hours and about an hour of wrapping in July.


I had baby clothes pins lying around so I bought this cute chevron scrapbook paper half off at Hobby Lobby to cut and hang.  I liked the way it turned out so simple and shabby chic.


This was super simple and was actually done when J woke up from his nap so we had a lesson in triangles.  ;)  I just cut them and taped them to yarn and hung it up on the mirror.


I found this "T" at a thrift store for $.25 and was SO thrilled because buying letters is expensive!  I wrapped it in yarn one night while my husband got caught up on Revenge season 1 and then wrapped it with the yellow/orange yarn to make it pop more against our brick.  I used felt to make the rosettes and voila! 


Last weekend we went to Target as a family and they had so many great things clearanced!  I had been eyeing all the pieces in this beautiful collection all summer and have always loved this!  It was $15 originally and the first time I saw it clearanced it was still $10.  Saturday I picked it up for $4.50 and it happily is sitting on my table holding some apples.  Our table is small so it's the perfect size.  I also picked up this frame for under $4.  I'm always picking up frames on clearance, in thrift stores or at garage sales.  I love pictures everywhere, but hate paying high prices.  I have a plan for the frame, but haven't had time to work on it because I have a little man's 1st birthday party to work on these days!

So do you decorate for fall?  I love having more time to do things like this now that my boys are getting a little older and napping a little better and allowing me to do more chores in the waking hours so I can take more "me" time at naps and night.  

2 comments:

Homemaking Challenged said...

Yes, I'm thinking we have TONS in common (including the name)! We are in Southern California, and have 2 kids. Our son is 22 months and our daughter is almost 4 months. We have been married for 3 years and just bought our 1st home this past summer. It is a fixer-uper and 60 years old, but livable. I will have some tips for doing some fix up projects on the cheap later this month. I'm still working on a few.

When we moved we "upgraded" some of our hand me down furniture. My parent's best friend's mom died and so they had to get rid of all the furniture from her house, so we ended up with most of it, but it doesn't match our other pieces. All in good time however. :)

I really love your mantel! We don't have a fire place, so I have been trying to figure out the best place to put "mantle like" decor in our new home.

Julie S. said...

I LOVE your wreath!