Wednesday, October 3, 2012

5 Things I'm Loving: October Edition + a smoothie recipe!

I love this link up with Julie's blog and have missed out on it the last few months!  So now that I'm back on the blog scene (and feeling a little like I'm starting from scratch after shutting my old blog to private a year and a half ago), I'm excited to do another 5 things link up post!

ONE

The HGTV magazine.  I honestly had not read a magazine cover to cover since before J was born over 2 years ago.  I even subscribe to two (Nylon and Disney Family Fun) and they've just stacked up in a drawer begging to be read.  Part of that stack was HGTV's first issue from May they had sent me.  I took it to Disney World and our boys both slept on the long plane ride so from Houston to Orlando I read and read and read and took in beautiful images and inspiration.  I  loved that the magazine wasn't too cluttered with advertisements and was full of good articles and information.  I LOVE Pinterest, but there's something about a magazine in your hand that is so great.  SO, when we got home and were at Sams I picked it up since it was 30% off cover price and finished it that weekend.  It's just so good.  I promise!

TWO

I won't lie.  Having two babies 14 months apart is pretty hard and exhausting and you often wonder if you'll ever stop having to break up fights or disciplining or changing diaper after diaper or have time to yourself ever again.  Lately it's been getting better and better.  There are new challenges that come with my boys getting older (more discipline, more fighting), but along with those challenges comes a bond.  They make each other laugh, they're starting to play, they're wrestling often (above they're wrestling in a slide at Chick Fil A), and they're taking an interest in each other.  I know this will only get better with time and in a few short years I'll be able to cook dinner in peace while watching them play out back from the kitchen window and I'll miss being in the middle of it all and I'll miss them being so tiny.  So I'm loving them and their relationship.  A whole lot.  ;)

THREE

Fruit smoothies! I cut all my nursing points out of my Weight Watchers daily points allowance because my loss was slowing down and E's drinking of whole milk is increasing so I've needed to make myself things that will satisfy without using a lot of points.  Right now I'm loving this little recipe:

5 strawberries
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/3 banana
2T strawberry yogurt
splash of apple juice
4 ice cubes

Blend, blend, blend and YUM!  I'd add spinach too, but that actually hurts E's little tummy so for now just fruity goodness I try to drink slowly.


FOUR

Opening the windows while the air is crisp.  We've still been up in the 80s by mid-afternoon but the mornings and evenings are cool and I just love the way the fall air makes the house smell.  I can't wait until we park it in the 60s/70s for awhile so this can be an all day thing!

FIVE 

Pumpkin spice lattes.  Isn't this on EVERYONE'S list this month?! But seriously, so yummy!  Those and caramel apple spices.  Mmmm!!!!  Just all hot drinks are so good now.  I've been cheap and have only bought one PSL so far, but I've been really enjoying a cup of green tea a few nights a week.  So good!


What are you loving this month? Head to Julie's blog and link up with us! :)

4 comments:

Julie S. said...

I LOVE HGTV magazine! I subscribe and it is my absolute favorite. If the cover doesn't draw you in, I don't know what will! :) Your boys are TOO cute!

Alli Lizer said...

I don't think I've ever looked at HGTV magazine but I like their tv shows.

Plus I'll definitely be trying the smoothie. I'm looking for good, healthy options. Can you make a lot in advance and then seve it out during the week?

Leen Smith said...

I don't care for smoothies but Rachel would loooove to make one of those!

Sugarr2518 said...

Yes, fruit smoothies are the best!!! I should definitely try your smoothie:)